Monday, January 02, 2006

You are what you eat

Since moving back to Toronto, I note that people get into the routine of eating at the same places all the time. Which isn't bad; certainly, familiarity with your particular favorite nook is important. However, living in one of the most culturally diverse places in the world leads to many different cuisines right at your doorstep. There is, of course, also the issue that many, many restos open in Toronto every year, and, sadly, many fail. These are the attempts of the small business owner hoping to 'make it' in the dog-eat-dog world of the restaurant business. I think based on both of those facts it is incumbent on us to try to support small business, and get to know the world-at-large better by partaking of meals at as many of these places as possible.
In that vein, I am (trying) to not repeat eating at restaurants, allowing me and my money to support as many small businesses as I can. This of course, doesn't include planned (by other people) dinners where they pick (one of) their favorite restaurants.
Also, I must say, my favorite place to eat in Toronto still is, hands down, Butler's Pantry. I eat there rarely (unfortunately), but it still wins in my heart as the best place to eat in the city.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home